Saturday, February 22, 2014

Project Antique Hutch

Before

I was torn whether to attempt this. I actually put this hutch up for sale in December. I decided to get rid of other furniture and keep this gem. Not only is this unique, it was my grandma's. She is the only grandparent I have left and her health comes in spurts. I am a sentimental type of person and love my furniture and other pieces that has been passed on to me. This is the only thing I have from that side of my family. This side of my family is fairly large so for something to find it's way to me is pretty awesome. So then how to treat this piece with the respect it deserves? Pinterest of course!

So looking at various pins on how to paint furniture, I finally found one I could actually understand and manage. Tip number one: Primer if your not going to sand to the bare wood. I chose to prime, because, well, I'm a busy mom and my projects can't be lengthy, they won't get finished. So I got a deep tint primer, and got it tinted to a light grey. Apparently, this goes well under red tones. Tip number two: Use a small sponge roller. This is by far the BEST tip I could of ever found! It was small, absorbed a lot, and got into the small creases and crannies. The paint went on smooth and quick. There were no paintbrush marks or mess. It was a small 4" roller with a rounded edge. I will be using this tip from now on with furniture. 

There were tips in the pins about distressing pieces, which I might try on something, someday. I never had very much luck with painting furniture, or really anything for that matter. So I am pretty proud of the result. I think my new favorite color might be red. 


After

Here is the link to the "how to paint furniture" site.
http://www.craftaholicsanonymous.net/how-to-paint-furniture

No comments:

Post a Comment